Variation in positive surgical margin status following radical prostatectomy for pT2 prostate cancer
BAUS ePoster online library. Tan W. 06/24/19; 259541; P5-11
Dr. Wei Shen Tan
Dr. Wei Shen Tan
Login now to access Regular content available to all registered users.

You may also access this content "anytime, anywhere" with the Free MULTILEARNING App for iOS and Android
Abstract
Rate & Comment (0)
BACKGROUND

Positive surgical margin (PSM) following radical prostatectomy for pT2 prostate cancer is considered a surgical quality metric. We evaluated patient, institutional, surgical approach and cancer-specific factors associated with PSM variability.

Methods

A total of 45,426 men from 1,152 institutions with pT2 prostate cancer following radical prostatectomy were identified using the National Cancer Database (2010-2015). Patient demographics and comorbidity, socioeconomic status, and institutional information, cancer-specific variables and type of surgical approach were extracted. Multilevel hierarchical mixed effects logistic regression model was performed to determine the factors associated with a risk of PSM and their contribution to a PSM status.

Results
Median PSM rate of 8.5% (IQR: 5.2-13.0%, range: 0-100%). Robotic (OR: 0.90, 95% CI: 0.83-0.99) and laparoscopic (OR: 0.74, 95% CI: 0.64-0.90) surgical approach, academic institution (OR: 0.87, 95% CI: 0.76-1.00) and high institution surgical volume (>297 cases [OR: 0.83, 95% CI: 0.70-0.99) were independently associated with a lower PSM. Black men (OR: 1.13, 95% CI: 1.01-1.26) and adverse cancer specific features (PSA 10-20, PSA >20, cT3 stage, Gleason 7, 8, 9-10; all p>0.01) were independently associated with a higher PSM. Multilevel hierarchical logistic regression model accounted for 24.9% of PSM variation. Patient-specific, institution-specific and cancer-specific factors accounted for 2.3%, 3.9% and 15.6% of the variation.

Conclusion
Cancer-specific factors account for 15.2% of PSM variation with the remaining 84.8% of PSM variation due to patient, institution and other factors. Non cancer-specific factors represent potentially addressable factors which are important for policy makers in their efforts to improve patient outcome.
BACKGROUND

Positive surgical margin (PSM) following radical prostatectomy for pT2 prostate cancer is considered a surgical quality metric. We evaluated patient, institutional, surgical approach and cancer-specific factors associated with PSM variability.

Methods

A total of 45,426 men from 1,152 institutions with pT2 prostate cancer following radical prostatectomy were identified using the National Cancer Database (2010-2015). Patient demographics and comorbidity, socioeconomic status, and institutional information, cancer-specific variables and type of surgical approach were extracted. Multilevel hierarchical mixed effects logistic regression model was performed to determine the factors associated with a risk of PSM and their contribution to a PSM status.

Results
Median PSM rate of 8.5% (IQR: 5.2-13.0%, range: 0-100%). Robotic (OR: 0.90, 95% CI: 0.83-0.99) and laparoscopic (OR: 0.74, 95% CI: 0.64-0.90) surgical approach, academic institution (OR: 0.87, 95% CI: 0.76-1.00) and high institution surgical volume (>297 cases [OR: 0.83, 95% CI: 0.70-0.99) were independently associated with a lower PSM. Black men (OR: 1.13, 95% CI: 1.01-1.26) and adverse cancer specific features (PSA 10-20, PSA >20, cT3 stage, Gleason 7, 8, 9-10; all p>0.01) were independently associated with a higher PSM. Multilevel hierarchical logistic regression model accounted for 24.9% of PSM variation. Patient-specific, institution-specific and cancer-specific factors accounted for 2.3%, 3.9% and 15.6% of the variation.

Conclusion
Cancer-specific factors account for 15.2% of PSM variation with the remaining 84.8% of PSM variation due to patient, institution and other factors. Non cancer-specific factors represent potentially addressable factors which are important for policy makers in their efforts to improve patient outcome.

By clicking “Accept Terms & all Cookies” or by continuing to browse, you agree to the storing of third-party cookies on your device to enhance your user experience and agree to the user terms and conditions of this learning management system (LMS).

Cookie Settings
Accept Terms & all Cookies